Friday, July 15, 2011

Pick-up Lines for Molecular/Cell Biologists

I decided I'm gonna embrace what I'm good at and try to use those skills to land me some ladies (ok, I'm totally being facetious here cause I really am not trying to "land" any ladies right now but I still like to think about what I would do if I were cool enough to be a "play-ah")...

I am not sly or sleak or fashionably dark/brooding (I'm just genuinely dark/brooding sometimes) so those things won't work for me. I don't have "game" (nor do I really want any 'cause I hate dating/head games!)... So what do I have going for me??

1) I'm fairly cute
2) I'm sweet (for the most part...I try for sure)
3) I'm smart. Really fucking smart. Not the smartest but it's kinda what I've always been into - figuring shit out. And what am I smartest about? Molecular, cellular, developmental and biochemical biology - but mostly M&C (I got my PhD in an MCDB program).

So my first line of attack is my semi-decent looks and charm. Then comes my second line of attack - my intelligence. Why not put it first so I can try to beat out some of the others who are better looking...(my biggest insecurity...whenever someone is better looking than I am I almost automatically assume they will beat me out for any girl I might be interested in. And maybe that's true to some extent, but it's awfully shallow. I don't want to get into that discussion right now 'cause I kinda feel like keeping this post a bit lighter than my other recent posts.)

Well, on that note, I've come up with some lines for the ladies:

"Wanna see my data?"
"Hey baby, I'll take you on a cytospin!" (actually inaccurate - a person cannot be cytospun! It's for cells to be spun down onto a microscope slide!)
"I bet you've never seen a western blot with such tight bands before!"
"I'll super-shift you anyday!" (with reference to EMSAs - electromobility shift assays - the assay I became an expert at in grad school)
"Let's immunoprecipitate!"
"Wanna pulse-chase my radioactive labeling??" (or just "wanna pulse-chase?")
Here's a super-cheesy one: "I wanna knock-myself-in to YOUR genes!" (or "jeans") - referencing gene knock-in mice
"Damn! My geiger counter is SCREAMING - looks like you're SUPER HOT!" (get it? Geiger counters measure radioactivity and we refer to something radioactive as being "hot")
"I'd like to excitate YOUR fluorophore!"
"Hey baby, let's denature each other..." (there could be many variations on 'denaturation')

Ok, I'm running out at the moment but I know there are plenty more! As I think of them I may add them...

But let's face it. There's nothing sexier than a scientist trying to make science jokes to pick up the ladies. Absolutely nothing sexier.

No comments: